Irish civil society and Gaza
Since the outbreak of renewed hostilities in Gaza in July 2014, the situation of people living in this highly populated area has worsened sharply.
The conflict is being reported in unprecedented detail in the world’s media, and social media are playing a big role in highlighting the suffering of ordinary people.
In Ireland, several NGOs and social justice organisations have spoken out, calling for a cessation of hostilities, for humanitarian support and for full adherence to international human rights and humanitarian law by both Palestinians and Israelis.
- Trócaire petition to demand justice in Gaza.
- Sadaka petition: Help end Israel’s attacks on Gaza.
- Avaaz petition: Expel the Israeli Ambassador to Ireland.
- Avaaz petition (2): Halt trade with the Israel regime.
- Amnesty International Ireland: Stop arming Israel.
- Joint civil society statement, signed by NGOs, trade unions, academics: “It is not enough to express horror at so many innocent lives having been lost during the latest round of violence in Gaza and Israel. We must instead ask how we can break the cycle that leads to this slaughter.”
- Joint statement by Childfund Ireland, Plan Ireland, Unicef Ireland and WorldVision Ireland: “We need civilians to be protected and safe humanitarian access to help people in desperate need.”
- Christian Aid Ireland: “With each new day more innocent civilians are being killed as a result of Israel’s offensive in Gaza.
- Oxfam Ireland: “A child killed every hour in Gaza”
- Trócaire statement: “How Ireland can help to bring peace to the Israeli and Palestinian people.”
- Unicef Ireland: “There is nowhere safe for children and their families in Gaza right now”
- Sadaka Ireland Palestine Alliance: “We are not ‘concerned’ about the massacre of over 500 Palestinians – we are outraged.”
- Irish Congress of Trade Unions: “The Irish Congress of Trade Unions has today called on the Government to summons the Israeli Ambassador to Ireland and demand that Israel ceases its bombardment of Gaza.
(NB: also see www.HowYouCanHelp.ie)
- CBM Ireland appeal
- Christian Aid Ireland appeal
- Irish Red Cross appeal
- Oxfam Ireland appeal
- Trócaire appeal
- Unicef Ireland appeal
- Situation in Gaza and Israel: What is Ireland’s position?